We are now inviting applications for the position of SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR in the ELECTROCHEMICAL ENERGY STORAGE area (EES) of CIC energiGUNE as Ikerbasque Research Professor, to lead the development of breakthrough technologies for batteries and electrochemical energy storage devices.
CIC energiGUNE is an energy storage research centre focused in electrochemical and thermal storage and based in the Basque Country. Its mission is to play a leading role on the international stage in the field of energy storage technologies and contribute to the industrial competitiveness of the Basque Country. CIC energiGUNE has a world-class research facility, cutting-edge equipment, an experienced management team, and a scientific committee composed of prominent scientists, entrepreneurs and industrial experts. CIC energiGUNE has become one of the top 5 principal research centres in Europe in most of its research areas.
Reporting directly to the General Manager and leading the basic oriented research groups of the EES area, which bring together scientists from 14 different nationalities, the SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR will be responsible of:
- Providing scientific strategy and leadership for the related Research Groups (Atomistic Modelling, Solid State Electroactive Materials and Advanced Interfacial Analysis) and Research lines.
- Ensuring the generation of state-of-the-art knowledge and disruptive research in order to maintain or improve the international positioning of the Centre, including the definition of roadmaps and work plans
- Managing an international team of scientists, post-doctors, PhD students and technicians
The Scientific Director will manage the budget of his/her area and he / she is also expected to:
- Build collaborative programs mainly with the local universities and also industry and technological centres, in collaboration with the Technology Coordinator and Business Development Manager.
- Write proposals to secure funding from government and industrial sources
The SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR is also expected to work as team member with other parts of CIC energiGUNE, to ensure the smooth operation and long-term prospects of the institution as a whole.
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position as Ikerbasque Research Professor that will give you a unique opportunity to manage a knowledgeable and experienced research team, and responsibility for coordinating the involved research lines.
The EES SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR will find a flourishing scientific community conducting synergistic research in both the universities and other Labs and Technological Centres already operating in the region.
In addition to the appeal of the entire project, the CIC energiGUNE offers a competitive basic salary and conditions. The Foundation will also help smooth the transition for you and your family, providing a welcome program that offers accommodation and addresses other aspects to help you integrate into the local environment.
What we need
We are looking for highly skilled and motivated individual capable of taking up this challenging opportunity to develop an ambitious research program. Applicants should have a high degree of initiative and should be open to intense interdisciplinary collaboration.
Applicants must demonstrate an internationally recognized scientific career path, including having headed European Projects involving consortiums of more than two countries.
The candidate should hold a PhD in Solid-state Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, or related fields, as well as at least 10 years direct R&D experience in research and development of batteries, with a proven track record publishing in high-impact factor journals. Having managed an ERC grant or similar will also be valued very positively.
We will assess expertise in the following aspects:
- Material science, Solid-state Chemistry and Electrochemistry, with a long-term vision in batteries research.
- Demonstrated group leadership and management skills, including communication, teamwork, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Project oriented person in order to manage resources effectively, find solutions and achieve goals.
- Basic and applied R&D.
- R&D dissemination (scientific publications, seminars, conferences, etc.)
We expect high readiness to work with strong engagement and creativity in an interdisciplinary and international environment.
Applicants should be fluent in English. Spanish conversation skills will be also desirable. Knowledge of Basque will be considered useful but not compulsory.
All applicants are invited to submit a detailed curriculum vitae and 2 reference contacts. For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selected candidate will be offered a position as Ikerbasque Research Professor should she/he meet the scientific standards of Ikerbasque´s (the Basque Foundation for Science) call to attract senior researchers to the Research Institutions in the Basque Country.
CIC energiGUNE is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.